I have been really busy trying to eat healthy and get fitter so baking has been put on the back burner for a little a while. So I was over the moon when I was asked to make a birthday cake and some cupcakes. Not only did this give me an opportunity to get back into the kitchen, but I got to try some new things with my piping nozzles and the whole task went really well.
I was able to plan both the main cake and cupcakes and the only thing I was told was that the birthday girl was a complete chocoholic! So straight away my head was filling up with every possible and sweet and how I could make it look nice. I went for the look of a chocolate shop and this is a really common design at the minute so I could get loads of inspirations. The cake itself was to feed around 30-40 people so I made 2 large rectangle chocolate cakes, which was then sandwiched together with chocolate ganache and then is that wasn’t enough I then smothered the cake with the remaining ganache. That was the easy bit really, I then had to work out how to make it look good. I stated by using biscuits to split up the top of the cake into sections, then started to fill the sections with a selection of Smarties, Malteasers, M and Ms and White and Milk Chocolate buttons. I should also say that this was made on a very hot night and chocolate and heat does not mix!! But the end product was a success!
I have never seen so many sweets on a cake.
To go along with this cake I also offered to make some cupcakes just incase the cake wasn’t enough, or if someone didn’t like chocolate cake (which would never happen). I went for vanilla cupcakes with some buttercream piped on the top, I got to play with some of my new piping nozzles so this was my first real attempt at flowers. I coloured the buttercream with some pastel colours and I think they turned out ok. I didn’t go for any specific flowers as this was just a test run but I will definitely be trying these again and maybe the flowers will be recognisable!